The September MENA CODEX Colloquium is planned from September 12-14th 2021 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and will be held using a hybrid mode (with participants present physically at the meeting location and others contributing through a virtual Zoom Platform).
This Colloquium is held as part of the MENA CODEX initiative implemented jointly by PARERA and GFoRSS with the aim to enhance Codex capacity in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) through:
- the development of communities of practice in targeted countries to facilitate effective preparation and contribution in Codex Technical Committees, the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC), and the Executive Committee, where relevant.
- the enhancement of national Codex capacities in countries of the MENA region, and
- the development of enablers to Codex work, such as availability of data information sharing and coordination tools.
The objectives of the Colloquium are to:
1) further develop the Codex communities of practice that were initiated in the region, in particular, the Informal Advisory Forum for Codex Contact Points of Arab North Africa, and a possible similar Advisory Forum for Gulf and Near East Countries.
2) Support the review of conclusions of major Codex Past Technical Committees, namely: CCGP, CCCF, CCFICS, and CCRVDF, in preparation for participation at the next meetings and the Codex Alimentarius Commission Discussion
3) Prepare for upcoming Codex Technical Committee meetings: Codex Committee on Food Labelling CCFL, September 27-October 1 2021; and the Task Force on Antimicrobial Resistance, October 4-9 2021.
4) Prepare for the 44th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC44), to be held November 8-13, 2021